Friday, July 27, 2007

Another Atlas Park Bus Re-route


Atlas Park is going for the biggie. Damon Hemmerdinger, who is the mastermind behind Atlas Park, wants to reroute the Q23 (the red bus that clogs Austin from Continental to Yellowstone) to bring FoHi visitors to Atlas Park.


He succeeded earlier in rerouting the Q54. But the Q23 is the big banana. It would be the only direct link between Austin St. and Atlas Park. Glendale residents are raising hell.


I love Atlas Park. The faith that this guy put into Central Queens is downright unbelievable. I go to Joseph A. Bank. Borders is awesome. However, I'm against this.


While part of me is psyched that some of these Glendale residents who have been cruising Austin St and screwing up our neighborhood for years are getting their just desserts, the more rational part knows that I knew what I was getting into when I bought here. They did not.


It's unfair to forcibly turn a residential neighborhood into a commercial hub in one year. Atlas Park knew that public transportation would be lacking. They went ahead anyway. They can't change the rules in the middle of the game.


However there is an easy compromise. Atlas Park should have a free hourly shuttle to and from Continental Avenue. It'll be quicker and nicer than the q23. And maybe even attract some of us with cars who don't want to lose our parking space or pay the garage fees of Atlas Park.


I believe a lot of the outlets do it and I know Ikea does it. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you The Atlas Jitney.