Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Toll This

Nothing gets the Mayor or the local newspapers' ire up more than lawmakers standing in the way banning outer-borough cars from Manhattan. The Daily News went as far as printing phone numbers of the responsible representatives urging us to throw the bums out.

Mayor Bloomberg tells us that we're mad as hell and the press eats it up. Sorry, but I've been mad as hell since he raised our property taxes 25% in the last few years - where was the News' outrage then? That's going to cost a lot more than the subway increase.

All Malcolm Smith wants to do is have someone audit the MTA before we take them at their word, and he gets lambasted (as anyone does who doesn't fully comply with bannign cars from Manhattan). Personally, I want to see how the MTA completely botched the selling of the West Side Rail Yards at the height of the market because Bloomberg and Doctoroff were obsessed with a football stadium? How much did that cost us?

I won't even get into all the other nickel and diming things the mayor has done to make life more expensive ($100 tennis permits, $45 parking tix, heavy tax hikes) while dismissing criticism as saying 'New York is a luxury product.'

But NOW he's worried sick about an extra $20/month leaving my pocket. He doesn't give a rat's ass about that - he just wants the tolls. I know he'll get them, I just want him to know he's not fooling anyone.

I'd rather pay the extra $20 per month than have my town overrun by commuters and pollution so Manhattanites can have a nicer bike ride to work.